Tuesday, June 19, 2012

How to make your garden therapeutic with white flowers



I used to yawn at white flowers in the garden.  Boring!  Bring on the color!  I changed my mind when I once saw a formal garden with only white flowering trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals.  The garden was understated and elegant.  Various shades of green sparkled with a dab  of white here, a splash of white there. 

There is therapeutic value in white flowers as well.  For the vision impaired, the white flowers “pop” at dusk.  The white flowers are similar to road reflectors on major highways.  The flowers act as a guide in the garden. They lead you in the right direction and can act as spotlights at nightfall.   Think of white flowers as a highlighter marker for a book. 




Too much white flowers during the day may hurt people with sensitive eyes.  People with blue eyes or macular degeneration need sunglasses for protection. White flowers work best with curves on a walkway as guideposts, or as a contrast to dark green leaves or as a low plant near a border.

This blog is written by a registered Horticulture Therapist with the American Horticulture Therapy Association.  To learn more visit here.


This YouTube video offers a brief explanation of how horticulture therapy heals. Please subscribe to my Garden/Food/Horticulture Therapy channel. Robert Bornstein on YouTube
Thank you for stopping by.  New next post will be about how to make a delicious mango smoothie!

Hope to see you also on twitter!

https://twitter.com/robbornstein
Miami Garden Reporter  Subscribe to my articles for free.
Facebook Garden Page   Please "Like" my page and watch us grow.
Robert's YouTube garden/food/fitness channel Subscribe for free to my new video 





6 comments:

  1. I also love white flowers for how they pop out at you from the depths of a deep shade garden. That sounds as though you have a very rewarding job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Robert, what's the name of those white flowering plants on your 2nd photo? i have one of which but forgot the name. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Africanaussie, it is very rewarding. Unlike gjenm, the name of the white flowering plants I think is a non scented jasmine. It flowers year round and that is why I like it. I am not sure of the scientific name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robert,
    Ah, Brugmansia and Gardenia two of my favourite scented flowers, lovely photos. Many thanks for joining our little blog. I am enjoying catching up on your posts here and your articles at the examiner.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome to pay a visit this website and reading the views of all colleagues about this post, while I am also eager of getting familiarity.

    Look at my website: dentysta wrocław

    ReplyDelete
  6. With hаvin so much сοntent ԁо you ever run into
    anу issues οf plagοrism or copyright vіolаtіon?
    Мy blog has a lоt of cοmplеtelу unіque
    content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any methods to help reduce content from being stolen? I'ԁ tгulу
    aрpгeciate it.

    my ωebpagе - http://www.googlearticles.info

    ReplyDelete