Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Early spring blooms in the garden

One of my favorite aspects of gardening is observing blooms opening day by day.  I like to take a few minutes before work to tour the garden.   This week the ginger is starting to bloom.


It is beautiful to see sunlight shining through the tropical foliage and highlighting the bloom as it begins to open.


As the sheath separates, the smooth white flowers with pink tips reveal themselves like pearls.
As the cluster matures, each flower opens up and within the heart of the white flower, revealing a yellow/orange center.  It is reminiscent of  a snap dragon.  Each day more yellow flowers emerge from the top of the cluster downward.  The joys of gardening are plentiful.

Thank you for following my blog and see you again soon!


Please subscribe to my YouTube channel for free!
Like my Robert's Tropical Paradise Garden
Subscribe to Miami Garden Reporter articles
Follow me on PinterestGoogle+ and Twitter.

3 comments:

  1. beautiful photos - does your ginger flower have a scent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived in a part of the country where tropical plants would survive. It is way too cold to put out plants like this beautiful specimen. Very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger flowers are known to have a very raspy smell when in their prime.
    So, probably yes.

    -Evergreen Tree & Shrub Inc.

    ReplyDelete